Monday, October 6, 2008

Guess what? (oops I forgot to post this, it's old)

I've been job searching for something more dependable than the aiding position. It was not really working out as I had only been called a couple of times. So I was in search to find a job that would be full time. If I only knew how difficult it would be to find one. I was checking monster.com, hawaiijobsondemand.com, careerbuilder.com, the Honolulu advertiser, craigslist on a daily basis, several times a day... I submitted many resumes and nothing. I finally got a couple of call backs from two company's, this small alarm company needing an office clerk and Macy's had a cosmetic sales position. Having to go to therapy like 3 times a day, I was not able to do the office position because I wouldn't be able to go to therapy which was not an option. I decided to pursue the Macy's position. It was a long interviewing process, I had a 3 interviews for it total and in the end they offered me the position. I was so relieved... I was going to have a job, FINALLY.

As I was heading out of the door of the apartment to head to Macy's to sign all my official paperwork, I get a call. The call was from the vice principal of the school that I had done my aiding at. He told me that they had a long term substitute kindergarten position open and that they would love if I could take it. It wouldn't start till Oct 14th and would go on till December. I did not know what to say because if I took this job I would obviously have to wait even LONGER to start up. But subbing pays more and I wouldn't have to give up my weekends and work late at the mall. But I was nervous, I had an appointment to fill out my paperwork for Macy's but I am on the phone with the vice principal and I don't know what to do. So, I text Nathan and told him what was going on and he told me to go with the substitute job because it paid a lot more. At the time I was so nervous I couldn't do any calculations. So, while I headed to Macy's to sign paperwork I ended up having to politely turn down the position and decided to accept the substitute position instead.



It's going to be different going into a classroom that was not set up by me so I don't REALLY know where things are and since every school is different the"taking over" will be challenging because Texas and Hawaii have different assessments and curriculum. So, this is going to be challenging but I hope that it works out well.



I decided to purchase my ticket to head back and I will be heading back to Texas January 14th. I know I initially wanted to live in Hawaii for a year but things worked out a little differently then planned. I was not planning on not being able to find a job for months and being stressed about finances. It's definitely been an experience to say the least and I can say I lived in Hawaii and came here with only 2 suit cases and tried to experience Hawaii as much as possible. So, while I was hoping that Hawaii would become my home, it never did... because it is true, home is where the heart is... and so much of my heart is in Texas. But regardless I don't regret this adventure at all I think Hawaii is gorgeous and while most people get to experience it for a week, I will be able to REALLY live and experience Hawaii for over 6 months... now that's how you EXPERIENCE Hawai'i.

No comments: